Tuesday, December 27, 2005

RANDY SINGER, PT. 2

Today, the second part of our Q&A with novelist Randy Singer, a critically acclaimed author and veteran trial attorney.

* * *

Q: How many books do you read a month?

RS: Three or four, if you count audio books.


Q: How many emails do you answer a day?


RS: Too many. Dozens.


Q: What are your writing habits?


RS: I'm a writing nerd. I love to write and do it every spare second I can. On the airplane, in the hotel room, in church (oops), you name it. I like to get up early and write for an hour or two before anyone else wakes up. I will go for a long run or a long walk and think about a scene, then come back to the house and write it all down. If I like it, I'll ask my wife Rhonda to sit down and listen to it. I find that reading the scene out loud helps because writing needs to have a certain feel and tone to it. Plus, if Rhonda doesn't like it, she won't hesitate to let me know.


Q: Are you an "outline" writer or a "make it up as you go" writer?


RS: Both. I start with a very broad outline and a good idea about my ending. I will think a lot about my characters and crystallize their unique personalities, quirks, looks and habits before I begin the story. When I begin writing, I will follow the flow of the story as it progresses and not worry too much about my outline. I seldom end up where I thought I would. About one-third of the way through the story, I usually toss my outline since the story has veered off in a different direction.


Q: What is a favorite memory from your childhood?


RS: Birthday parties. My dad would organize all kinds of games for my friends and me to play -- the Birthday Olympics. If it was close, I would be declared the winner. After all, it was my birthday.


Q: Are you a full-time novelist?


RS: Only in my dreams.


Q: What is your day job?

RS: I work as General Counsel for the North American Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. I also serve as President of FamilyNet television, a cable channel owned and operated by Southern Baptists. I also teach one class per year at law school.

* * *

Come back tomorrow for the conclusion of our Q&A. In the meantime, find Mr. Singer online at his official site. Purchase Self Incrimination at Amazon or at many other fine retailers.

Related links:
Randy Singer, Pt 1
Randy Singer, Pt 3
Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.