Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Q&A: CRESTON MAPES, PT 1


Suspense novelist Creston Mapes has a brand-new novel coming out, Full Tilt (Multnomah Publishers):


What Good Can Become of Psychotics, Meth Users, or the Mob?
In this sequel to Dark Star, rock star Everett Lester is eager to share the redeeming power of Christ’s love with the world through his music. But reaching his family in their twisted lives is another issue altogether. His gambling-addicted brother, Eddie, and the rest of his deteriorating family greet Everett’s attempts with disdain and hatred. When the Mob gets involved, dangerous threats become a haunting reality. And when Eddie’s son, Wesley—who blames Everett for his brother’s death—hooks up with psychotic Tony Badino, the two meth-using antichrists will stop at nothing to bring Everett down and secure his demise!

On a different blog last November, I featured a Q&A with Mr. Mapes—which I am replaying here in honor of the latest novel. Today, Creston shares the best advice anyone ever gave him, his literary influences, and the worst thing anyone ever said about his book.
* * *

Part One.

What is the best advice anyone has given you?
A friend told me back in 1991 I should go into freelance writing. I had been disappointed with my job and called him to see if I could lay carpet with him at his business. He said, "Creston, you need to be writing." That's when my freelance writing business began and I've been at it ever since.

Are you an "entertainer" or a "minister"?

Definitely an entertainer. When I read books, I love to bemust be—entertained, or I'll give up on the book. So I work diligently to make sure there's as little fluff as possible in my fiction. That it's lean and enjoyable. Boredom is enemy number one.
But I'm also a minister. Because, beneath it all, there is a message in my writing that comes from the Holy Spirit.

Do you hate when people ask whether you are an "entertainer" or a "minister"?

Not at all. In fact, I'm honored anyone would want my opinion about anything!

Who are your literary influences?

Some are Christian authors and many are not. So keep that in mind. J.D. Salinger, Kent Haruf, Anita Shreve, Jack Riggs and James Scott Bell.

Who are your spiritual influences?
My longtime accountability partner, Steve Vibert. The man who led me to Christ, Paul Ryden. My pastor, Sandy Adams. Another close friend, Frank Donchess.
And some favorite teachers/authors: Watchman Nee, Andrew Murray, R.A. Torrey, Chuck Smith, Jon Courson, Tony Evans, Charles Swindoll, Louie Giglio.


What is the best thing anyone said about one of your books?
One young man wrote and told me that the characters and plot in Dark Star seemed so real, he was out with his friends one night and had to tell them all about it.
Many others have said Dark Star has encouraged them to start praying for the salvation of specific rock stars and celebrities. Also, many adults are telling me that their teens and college-agers -- who are not avid readers -- are loving Dark Star. It makes me feel good that we're capturing the interest of non-readers!

What is the worst thing anyone said about one of your books?

In a very positive review, one reviewer commented at the end of her critique that there was some mild profanity in my first book. But that isn't the case. My publisher would never go for that, and neither would I.
* * *
Come back tomorrow for the next installment of our three-part Q&A. In the meantime, visit Creston online at www.crestonmapes.com and at his publisher's site at fiction.mpbooks.com.

Great Minds Think Alike: I see that Creston is also the featured interview today at Infuze Magazine.

Related links:
CRESTON MAPES, PT 2
CRESTON MAPES, PT 3

More novelists:
COLLEEN COBLE FANS: FICTION CONTEST!
LONNIE CRUSE (Murder In Metropolis)
BRANDILYN COLLINS (Web of Lies)
Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.