Thursday, April 20, 2006

ITW: ROBERT LIPARULO, PT 1

Over the next few days, we are sharing a three-part Q&A with novelist and fellow International Thriller Writers member Robert Liparulo. His debut thriller, Comes A Horseman, was optioned for a motion picture before it was even published:
When pair of FBI agents uncover ancient prophecies that link a series of grisly murders, the wrath of the killers turns on them. From the forested mountains of Colorado and the halls of the U.S. government's most clandestine agency, to the Vatican's mysterious L'Archivio Segreto and the labyrinthine caves under Jerusalem, this global thriller will rattle even the most skeptical soul.

Best-selling thriller author David Morrell (Creepers) remarked: "Frightening and fiendishly smart, Comes a Horseman is a must-read! Robert Liparulo's intense thrill ride will keep your nerves frayed and your lights on. "

Robert is also a contributor to the ITW anthology Thriller: Stories to Keep You Up All Night (Mira), edited by James Patterson.

* * *

PART 1.

WHO ARE YOUR LITERARY INFLUENCES?
Richard Matheson, Peter Straub, Thomas Perry, David Lindsey, David Morrell, Dean Koontz, Dickens, Hawthorne, Hemingway, Tolkien. I like authors with a powerful ability to create atmosphere, a sense of doom or adventure or whatever. I also appreciate wit and irony, though they can be overdone.

WHO ARE YOUR PHILOSOPHICAL INFLUENCES?
Regarding life, Plato, C.S. Lewis and Jesus Christ; regarding life as a writer, Stephen King, David Morrell, Dean Koontz, Steve Turner.

WHAT IS THE BEST THING ANYONE SAID ABOUT YOUR BOOKS?
When David Morrell sent me a glowing blurb for Comes a Horseman, I felt my ship had come in. I’ve been a fan of David’s for years, since high school. To have him say my book was a “must read,” got my head spinning. So, it’s not just what was said, but who said it, that makes his comments the best.

WHAT IS THE WORST THING ANYONE SAID ABOUT YOUR BOOKS?
Ouch. In an otherwise positive review, the reviewer said my main male protagonist was a wimp. Since so much of myself goes into my main characters, I didn't want to hear that. I wanted to thump my chest at the guy, throw down a gauntlet, or whatever.

We ended up exchanging emails and he acknowledged that the protagonist's behavior was consistent with what he was going through at the time, but the reviewer wanted him to rise above the situation and kick some serious butt regardless. The reviewer's favorite literary characters are Rambo and John Gage (Mr. Testosterone) from Byron Huggins' The Reckoning, so he likes larger-than-life tough guys. Next to those characters, everyone's a wimp. How's that for rationalization?

HOW MANY BOOKS DO YOU READ A MONTH?
Typically, I read between four and eight, depending on what else is going on in my life. When I’m under the gun to bring in a story, I may only get to one in a month. No matter how late I’m up, how tired I am, I can’t sleep without reading about an hour a night. At any given time, I’m reading at least one novel and one nonfiction book.

* * *

Come back here tomorrow for Part 2 of the Q&A. Find Comes a Horseman at Amazon.com and many other fine retailers. Find the author online at his official site.

Related links:
ROBERT LIPARULO, PT 2
ROBERT LIPARULO, PT 3

Sign up for the FREE "Thriller Readers Newsletter" and keep up with the latest profiles, news and reviews in the world of thriller fiction. Subscribers are also entered to win FREE BOOKS!

More mystery and thriller links:
Q&A: VICKI HINZE (Bulletproof Princess)
Q&A: TASHA ALEXANDER (And Only to Deceive)
Q&A: LONNIE CRUSE (Murder In Metropolis)
Q&A: THOMAS O'CALLAGHAN (Bone Thief)
THRILLERFEST 2006
ITW SPOTLIGHT ON CHRIS WELL (ME)
Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.