Wednesday, April 19, 2006

NOT WRITING HEROES FOR HIRE


Back in 2003, Marvel Comics launched a program called Epic Comics for new writers and artists to submit their ideas to Marvel. I won't go into all the sad details here of how quickly the imprint imploded (and in such a spectacularly messy manner, too).

However, during that brief window of opportunity, I pitched a variety of original scripts (in a variety of styles and genres). I also pitched scripts with existing Marvel characters, including SECRET SIX, which reunited the Spider-Man villains in a sort of Ocean's 11-style caper, and HEROES FOR HIRE, which I wanted to recreate as a "superhero workplace sitcom."

My pitches were all rejected (I have several identical copies of the polite form letter). But in the time since, many ideas regarding their superheros have all surfaced in one form or another. (I am not saying my ideas were stolen; in fact, that is quite unlikely. It just shows that great minds think alike. For more on this topic, see Alton Ganksy's "Mel Gibson and Me.")

And now a new Heroes For Hire series has been announced -- without founding members Power Man and Iron Fist.

The main reason I bring this up is because my favorite part of my H4H pitch was that founding members Power Man and Iron Fist were not on my version of the team, either -- but kept popping up as disgruntled former employees. I thought it would be funny.

By the way, one pitch was for my post-apocalyptic Elvis story. The short story version of that was published online by Infuze Comics as "All Our Sins And Greed And Bears."

Related links:
DEFENDING COMIC BOOKS
"THE GOLDEN AGE" REDUX
ONCE UPON A TIME: VERTIGO SUBMISSIONS
CSI HITS THE COMIC CON
STEPHEN KING'S "DARK TOWER" COMICS
Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.