Monday, May 01, 2006

BROADWAY BOUND: "GET SHORTY"


Here is a phrase I thought I'd never say: Get Shorty is headed for Broadway.

The Hollywood adventures of ex-mobster Chili Palmer, as detailed in the classic zany crime novel by Elmore Leonard and adapted to the screen in the hilarious film starring John Travolta, is being retooled into a Broadway musical—by the same team also taking The Wedding Singer and Elf to the stage.

From Playbill:

Lyricist [Chad] Beguelin previously told Playbill.com, "We're currently writing a musical version of Get Shorty, which is completely different from [The Wedding Singer]. It's another movie where I went, 'I love this movie. I adored the book.' I went in to Clear Channel, which had a deal with MGM, and I said, 'I want to do Get Shorty,' and they thought I was crazy.

"But it's like City of Angels, it's like Guys and Dolls - mobsters making movies. We wrote a song for them called 'The Girl with the Scream,' and we sent it to them, and they said yes. And, then we had to get Elmore Leonard to say yes, so we sent him the song, and he said yes. We've got most of Act One done and about half of Act Two."
Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.