Monday, May 29, 2006

ITW: KATHRYN MACKEL, PT 1

For the next three days, we turn the spotlight on thriller novelist Kathryn Mackel, a best-selling author and acclaimed screenwriter for Disney and Fox.

Her thrillers include The Hidden, The Surrogate and The Departed. Kathryn is also a member of International Thriller Writers, Inc.

* * *

PART ONE

WHO ARE YOUR LITERARY INFLUENCES?
Reading Ted Dekker and Brandilyn Collins was instrumental for wooing me to Christian suspense fiction. On the secular side, I’d like to learn to write like a John Sandford (Lucas Davenport books), without the profanity and over-the-top violence.

WHO ARE YOUR PHILOSOPHICAL INFLUENCES?
Madeleine L’Engle. I’d love to say C.S. Lewis, whom I adore. Though I was an English lit major, I’ve lost enough brain cells so Donald Miller is a lot more accessible to me. Same with Charles Williams, who is spectacular but makes me feel downright uneducated.

I like anyone who makes me think in a way I’m not used to—as long as their information and argument has integrity.

WHAT IS THE BEST THING ANYONE SAID ABOUT YOUR BOOKS?
I just got an email from a reader who said The Hidden was the best book they ever read. Angie Hunt blessed me when she said she almost missed a plane because she was reading it. (They had to page her.)

But what I’m still longing for is an email that says, “Wow. You helped me see Jesus.”

WHAT IS THE WORST THING ANYONE SAID ABOUT YOUR BOOKS?
The Publishers Weekly review of The Departed said, “Squeamish readers might want to look elsewhere.” I suppose they’re right.

People meet me and say, “How does such a nice lady like you write these scary books?” I suspect many of us who write edgy Christian fiction are “nice.” It’s the security of faith and family that allow us to peek out over the edge.

HOW MANY BOOKS DO YOU READ A MONTH?
A better question would be how many magazines do I read a week? I read Entertainment Weekly, World, Sports Illustrated, Hollywood Reporter ... cover to cover.

I used to read two newspapers every day but my husband finally got fed up with the Boston Globe’s distortion of the truth. (I do miss their sports section ... )

* * *

Come back tomorrow for the second part of our Q&A. Meanwhile, visit Kathryn Mackel online at KathrynMackel.com. Her novel The Hidden is available from Amazon and other fine retailers.

Related links:
KATHRYN MACKEL, PT 2
KATHRYN MACKEL, PT 3

Sign up for the FREE "Thriller Readers Newsletter" and keep up with the latest profiles, news and reviews in the world of thriller fiction. Subscribers are also entered to win FREE BOOKS!

More ITW links:
Q&A: ROBERT LIPARULO (Comes a Horseman)
Q&A: VICKI HINZE (Bulletproof Princess)
Q&A: THOMAS O'CALLAGHAN (Bone Thief)
THRILLERFEST 2006
ITW SPOTLIGHT ON CHRIS WELL (ME)
Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.