Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Q&A: GINNY AIKEN, PT 1


Former newspaper reporter and ballerina Ginny Aiken discovered books at a very early age, writing her first novel at age 15. She is the author of the "Deadly Decor" mystery series, plus a frequent speaker at women's events and writers' conferences. Ginny lives with her husband and four sons in York, Pennsylvania.

* * *

PART 1.

Are you an "entertainer" or a "minister"?
I’ve always seen my writing as a ministry. I’m always amazed by how deeply the words I put on paper can and do affect readers. Some of the letters I’ve received have brought me to tears of humility and thanksgiving. I hope to always be mindful of the responsibility this kind of work carries. On the other hand, I hope I entertain my readers. After all, I’m most known for the humor in my books.


Who are your literary influences?
Way too many to list, but I’ll mention a few. With a B.A. in literature (French and Spanish, and a minor in English) I have to go back to Shakespeare. He always tells a great story. Of course, Jane Austen is a favorite, and, thanks to my dad’s love of a good mystery, Agatha Christie owns a lot of territory on my bookshelves.


Who are your spiritual influences?
A very personal one is my grandmother. She was a woman of deep faith, especially in the face of terrible circumstances. Two very public ones are Billy and Ruth Bell Graham. They have a strong marriage based on their love for Christ.


What is the best thing anyone said about one of your books?
A reader wrote to tell me that after she finished my book, she dug up her previously buried Bible, started to read it again, and returned to church. She’d been ‘lost’ (her word, not mine) for about a decade. A writer can’t ask for more than that.


What is the worst thing anyone said about one of your books?
Although I have my sprinkling of less-than-stellar reviews (most writers rack up a few) I’ve only received one negative reader letter. This reader said the book didn’t hold her attention and she didn’t finish reading it. Since she took the time to write to the author of a book she didn’t like, I have to wonder what that means! That book was one of my most humorous stories, so I’ve decided to assume she wasn’t in the mood for a smile that day.

* * *

Come back tomorrow for part two. Her latest mystery is Decorating Schemes (Revell), available at Amazon and many other fine retailers.

Q&A: GINNY AIKEN, PT 2

Related links:
Q&A: CRESTON MAPES (Full Tilt)
Q&A: BRANDILYN COLLINS (Web of Lies)
Q&A: RANDY SINGER (Self Incrimination)
Q&A: TASHA ALEXANDER (And Only to Deceive)
Q&A: LONNIE CRUSE (Murder In Metropolis)

INTERVIEW ARCHIVE
Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.