Monday, August 07, 2006

Q&A: COLLEEN COBLE, PT 1


Our guest today and tomorrow is best-selling romantic suspense novelist Colleen Coble, author of the Rock Harbor Series and the Aloha Reef Series. Her novel Distant Echoes won the National Readers' Choice Award and came in third in the Daphne du Maurier "Award for Excellence in Mystery/Romance."

This fall, she launches the brand-new "Smoke Jumpers" series with Fire Dancer: When a serial arsonist known as The Fire Dancer strikes in the wilds of Arizona, Tess Masterson finds she's jumping out of planes into roaring, angry wildfires more frequently than usual ...

* * *

PART ONE.

WHAT ARE YOUR WRITING HABITS?
I am at my computer by eight every weekday morning. Of course the first hour or so I "warm up" with email. (LOL) Email is important to most writers. It's our only connection with other people since writing is such a solitary profession.

ARE YOU AN "OUTLINE" OR "MAKE IT UP AS YOU GO" WRITER?
I have a rough idea of where I want to go, the main conflicts, the villain and his motives and how the book ends. Then I just start writing. I've tried everything from totally knowing nothing but the characters to having a scene by scene chapter and neither extreme work for me. I like to have the room for inspiration—so total plotting drives me crazy.

WHAT IS THE BEST THING ANYONE SAID ABOUT YOUR BOOKS?
That my characters are so real they find themselves praying for them. And that my books put them totally in the scene.

WHAT IS THE WORST THING ANYONE SAID ABOUT YOUR BOOKS?
That my character was two dimensional. (LOL) Talk about extremes, huh? I guess it's all about tastes.

HOW MANY BOOKS DO YOU READ A MONTH?
At least 10. Sometimes more when I'm not actively writing.

AS A READER, WHAT MAKES A BOOK INTRIGUING TO YOU?
I love suspense. The deeper and more convoluted the plot, the more I like it.

* * *

Come back tomorrow for the second half of our conversation with Colleen Coble. Find her online at ColleenCoble.com and at the four-author blog GirlsWriteOut.blogspot.com. You can also sign up for her newsletter.

Related link: Q&A: COLLEEN COBLE, PT 2

More mystery/suspense authors:
FIRST Day, Aug 1: FULL TILT by Creston Mapes
Q&A: ALTON GANSKY (Director's Cut)
Q&A: WANDA DYSON (Abduction)
Q&A: T.L. HINES (Waking Lazarus)
Q&A: LORENA MCCOURTNEY (On The Run)

INTERVIEW ARCHIVE
Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.