Monday, January 29, 2007

KILLER Q&A: GREGG OLSEN, PT 1

We turn the spotlight on crime writer and suspense novelist Gregg Olsen, member of the KILLER YEAR: Class of 2007.


The author of several acclaimed true crime books, his debut suspense novel, A Wicked Snow (Kensington), hits shelves in March:

Southern California criminal investigator Hannah Griffin teams up with FBI agent Jeff Bauer to catch her mother, a notorious serial killer who pulled off the greatest vanishing act in history ...



* * *

AS A NEWBIE NOVELIST, WHAT'S SCARIEST FOR YOU?
Having been around the block a time or two with my true crime and narrative nonfiction, nothing much scares me anymore. A Wicked Snow is what it is ... and it will come and go. If it isn't huge, that's fine.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO COMBAT YOUR FEARS?
Knowing that I'll write another book.

HOW HAVE YOUR "KILLER YEAR" CLASSMATES HELPED YOU THROUGH THIS CAMPAIGN? This is a talented bunch, that's no exaggeration. But I have to admit it is their fresh perspective and enthusiasm for helping each other that has been the most amazing part of this journey. There's no shortage of great ideas from this bunch. The support is completely genuine.

WHAT ARE YOUR WRITING HABITS?
Most of my experience has been in nonfiction and for that I generally spend 90-percent of my efforts on the research side. With the fiction, it is more about taking what I already know and spinning it into a story. For nonfiction, I wrote 1,000 words a day. With fiction, I could fly through 2,500 and never look up. The two are not the same, but I love both.

AS A READER, WHAT MAKES A BOOK INTRIGUING TO YOU?
I'm so shallow. I love a good title and a great cover. There, I admit it. So basic, but so true. There are a million books out there and I can only read so many. I like things pretty.

KILLER Q&A: GREGG OLSEN, PT 2

* * *

Thanks to suspense novelist Gregg Olsen. Find him online at GreggOlsen.com, at CrimeRant.com, and StarvationHeights.com. You can also visit his MySpace page.

You can also find more at the Killer Year website, the Killer Year blog and the Killer Year MySpace page.

* * *

Related links:
KILLER Q&A: PATRY FRANCIS (The Liar's Diary)
KILLER Q&A: ROBERT GREGORY BROWNE (Kiss Her Goodbye)
KILLER Q&A: MARCUS SAKEY (The Blade Itself)
KILLER Q&A: SEAN CHERCOVER (Big City, Bad Blood)
KILLER Q&A: SANDRA RUTTAN (Suspicious Circumstances)
KILLER YEAR: Class of 2007
Adopting Killer Year

INTERVIEW ARCHIVE
Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.