Tuesday, January 23, 2007

KILLER Q&A: PATRY FRANCIS, PT 1

We turn the spotlight on crime novelist Patry Francis, member of the KILLER YEAR: Class of 2007.

Her debut suspense novel, The Liar's Diary (Dutton), hits shelves in February:

When a teenage boy is arrested for a particularly brutal murder, his mother seeks to learn the truth, and finds herself increasingly ensnared in a web of lies ...



* * *

PART ONE.

AS A NEWBIE NOVELIST, WHAT'S SCARIEST FOR YOU?
Public speaking! I'm terrified that I'll face a huge crowd and freeze; and I'm equally scared that I'll show up for an audience of two people -- one of whom is my mother.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO COMBAT YOUR FEARS?
I've been looking for ways to make my events interactive and fun; and every morning I look in the mirror and repeat three times: "I love public speaking ... I love speaking ... I love ... "

HOW HAVE YOUR "KILLER YEAR" CLASSMATES HELPED YOU THROUGH THIS CAMPAIGN?
When I first responded to Jason Pinter's call for debut thriller and suspense novelists on Publisher's Marketplace, I thought it meant nothing more than listing my novel on a Website called Killer Year. Little did I know that I'd accidentally stumbled into one of the most dynamic and supportive groups of writers who ever banded together to further our common goals.

My classmates are talented, savvy, generous and often laugh out loud funny. I can't believe how much we've accomplished as a group, but it is the advice, encouragement and humor we share on a daily basis that I value most.

WHAT ARE YOUR WRITING HABITS?
It's the new year, so of course, I'm vowing to get up by six and write for at least eight hours straight. But realistically? I usually get up around 10, check my email, my blog comments, and lately my MySpace page. (If anyone can suggest another distraction, let me know.) Then I eat breakfast and peruse the paper a bit. After that, my hour has arrived. I set a timer and write for 60 minutes. After I've rewarded myself with a piece of chocolate and maybe another quick check of the email, I write for another hour. It doesn't sound like much, but preparing for it, thinking about it, and then revising it later in the day pretty much consumes my life.

AS A READER, WHAT MAKES A BOOK INTRIGUING TO YOU?
Strong writing, characters I care about, and a great story. I'll read a book in any genre if it contains those three elements.

KILLER Q&A: PATRY FRANCIS, PT 2

* * *

Click on over for the second half of our Q&A with crime fiction novelist Patry Francis. Find her online at her blog, Simply Wait, and at her MySpace page.

You can also find more at the Killer Year website, the Killer Year blog and the Killer Year MySpace page.

* * *

Related links:
KILLER Q&A: ROBERT GREGORY BROWNE (Kiss Her Goodbye)
KILLER Q&A: MARCUS SAKEY (The Blade Itself)
KILLER Q&A: SEAN CHERCOVER (Big City, Bad Blood)
KILLER Q&A: SANDRA RUTTAN (Suspicious Circumstances)
KILLER YEAR: Class of 2007
Adopting Killer Year

INTERVIEW ARCHIVE
Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.