Monday, February 12, 2007

KILLER Q&A: MARC LECARD, PT 1

We turn the spotlight on suspense novelist Marc Lecard, member of the KILLER YEAR: Class of 2007.


His debut suspense novel, Vinnie's Head (St. Martin's Minotaur), hits shelves in March:

Long Island petty criminal Johnnie LoDuco snags his best friend’s head while fishing for flounder, and attracts the attention of some very unpleasant people. Is it the head they want ... or Johnnie?



* * *

PART ONE.

AS A NEWBIE NOVELIST, WHAT’S SCARIEST FOR YOU?
That I might have to stand up and speak in front of a crowd, I dread crowds -- to me, a crowd is more than three people. But, given the average turnout at readings and book signings by unknown authors, this may not be a problem.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO COMBAT YOUR FEARS?
Thought about hiring a body double. Also under consideration: anti-anxiety medication in major doses, cross-dressing and imposture a la JT LeRoy; Vocoder and mask a la Darth Vader.

HOW HAVE YOUR "KILLER YEAR" CLASSMATES HELPED YOU THROUGH THIS CAMPAIGN?
Given the vast number of books that come out every year, it’s very difficult for a single book to stand out. Being part of Killer Year has allowed us all to attract more attention -- as a group, and as individual authors.

It helps that the others in Killer Year are fantastically interesting people and accomplished writers. I cruise along quite happily in their wake.

Also by meeting my Killer Year compadres online, I was able to talk to at least a few of them at the recent Bouchercon in Madison. (They were very friendly and helpful.) Without them, it is very possible that I would have gone through the entire conference without speaking to anyone.

WHAT ARE YOUR WRITING HABITS?
I like to get up early in the morning -- 4 or 5 am -- and write before the day gets started. I tend to establish a sort of rat’s nest of books and papers in a corner and burrow into it. I do not come equipped with self-discipline, and depend absolutely on habit and routine to get anything accomplished.

I also have a few items of power on my desk, talismans that are the source of my abilities. I can’t tell you what they are. Just trust me.

AS A READER, WHAT MAKES A BOOK INTRIGUING TO YOU?
The first thing I look for if I’m coming to a book cold, with no foreknowledge of story, is a voice. It doesn’t take long to hear a novel’s voice -- sometimes just a paragraph or two, sometimes the very first sentence.

Beyond that, I look for good prose, attention to word and phrase, a sense of measure and the rhythms of the writing. I like to be surprised. I love to be frightened and made a nervous wreck by mounting suspense. But I need to be convinced -- fooled, lulled -- by the writing first.

KILLER Q&A: MARC LECARD, PT 2

* * *

Thanks to suspense novelist Marc Lecard. Find him online at MarcLecard.com, and at his blog, Hearing Voices.

You can also find more at the Killer Year website, the Killer Year blog and the Killer Year MySpace page.

* * *

Related links:
KILLER Q&A: GREGG OLSEN (A Wicked Snow)
KILLER Q&A: PATRY FRANCIS (The Liar's Diary)
KILLER Q&A: ROBERT GREGORY BROWNE (Kiss Her Goodbye)
KILLER Q&A: MARCUS SAKEY (The Blade Itself)
KILLER Q&A: SEAN CHERCOVER (Big City, Bad Blood)
KILLER Q&A: SANDRA RUTTAN (Suspicious Circumstances)
KILLER YEAR: Class of 2007
Adopting Killer Year

INTERVIEW ARCHIVE
Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.