Monday, November 14, 2011

3 (Early) New Year's Resolutions for this writer

A couple weeks ago, my wife and I attended a marketing seminar hosted by our agent -- and got a boatload of great advice for any working author. The break from my normal routine also gave me some much-needed perspective on the whole thing -- that is, the business of being a writer. So, even though we're still only in November, I don't want to wait to start on my New Year's Resolutions.

1. Get blogging. A few years ago, I realized my varied interests were all crowding into this blog. At that time, I changed the name to The Thrill of it All, narrowing the blog's focus to mystery and thriller fiction -- and then created an assortment of other blogs as outlets for all the competing interests. (It made so much more sense at the time.) But, of course, when you have a half-dozen blogs about comics and television and other things, it just scatters your attention. So, I've started posting "farewell" entries on a few of the other blogs, and am recommitting myself to The Thrill of it All. Because, of course, this is the blog most closely associated to what I actually write.

2. Get writing. At my day job, we've been in launch-mode for a particular project for going on nineteen months. It's a project with which I'm thrilled, and we're making a lot of progress -- but it's also quite easy for me to find myself working a good 12 or 15 hours a day. Which doesn't leave anything left for much else. So I'm going to try and get that time down to, say, 10 or 12 hours a day, and take at least an hour a day to whittle away on my work-in-progress. My agent has waited long enough for this manuscript.

3. Get walking. More than ever, I'm finding a correlation between my general health and my ability to keep writing. I need my head to be clear and I need the energy to keep pushing at these stories. Contrary to what you may have heard, writing fiction is hard work. Anyone who says it's easy isn't doing it right. Or they have magic powers. So my wife and I are going to make more visits to the gym, osternsibly for "health" and "living a better, longer life" reasons. But you and I know it'll be for the writing.


Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.