Saturday, January 14, 2012

5 Questions: Susan Sleeman on NIPPED IN THE BUD

Mystery author Susan Sleeman grew up reading Nancy Drew and developing a love of mysteries and suspense fiction. Today, she channels this enthusiasm into writing inspirational romantic suspense and mystery novels and hosting the Christian suspense fiction site TheSuspenseZone.com. Her latest publication is the cozy mystery Nipped in the Bud (Spyglass Lane Mysteries), currently only 99-cents on Amazon.

Q: WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO WRITE "NIPPED IN THE BUD"?
My love of gardening inspired me to write Nipped in the Bud. I wanted to create a character who loved it as much as I do, but then of course, I took it to the extreme and made her even more zealous than I am. It was such fun to write, and I’m looking forward to the February release of Read Between the Tines, the second book in the series in e-book form.

Q: YOU WRITE SUSPENSE AND MYSTERY TITLES FOR THE CHRISTIAN MARKET -- HOW DOES THAT IMPACT THE WAY YOU APPROACH YOUR CHARACTERS AND YOUR STORIES?
Though I am a Christian writer, I try very hard to make my characters real people. People who struggle to get by in this very difficult world. People who don’t always do the right thing and wish they were better people. But I also make sure that in the book these characters make progress in their spiritual walk. They are by no means perfect when the book ends, but they are trying. And isn’t that what Christians are doing in the world today? Trying to be more like Christ.

Q: YOUR TITLES ALSO TEND TO BALANCE THE SUSPENSE AND/OR MYSTERY WITH ROMANCE -- SO DO YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF A "SUSPENSE WRITER WHO INCLUDES ROMANCE" OR A "ROMANCE WRITER WHO INCLUDES SUSPENSE"?
Okay if you’re going to make me choose, I would have say I’m a suspense writer who includes romance. I started out writing strictly suspense, but along the way I began reading romantic suspense. Now, I have to say, I prefer to read and write an equal blend of romance and suspense.

Q: IN ADDITION TO BEING AN AUTHOR, YOU ALSO HOST THE SITE "THE SUSPENSE ZONE." TELL US ABOUT IT.
TheSuspenseZone.com was birthed when I began looking for Christian suspense novels to read. This was when I first started writing and didn’t know much about Christian fiction in general. However, I read several of Linda Hall’s earlier novels and I wanted to find writers who wrote in a similar vein. So I started searching the internet and came up with a listing of several hundred books. I thought it would be good to share this information with others and so I created TheSuspenseZone.com. The site had grown from twenty or so pages to hundreds of pages with a library of over 900 Christian suspense books. In addition to listing upcoming books, new releases, and author bios, we review books, do author interviews, and always have a contest to win books. We’ve given away hundreds of books on the site and I am thrilled that it has developed a regular following and new readers sign up every day for our monthly newsletter.

Q: WHAT OTHER BOOK(S) ARE YOU WORKING ON THAT WE CAN WATCH FOR?
I have a new romantic suspense series called The Justice Agency releasing in 2012. This series is about five adopted siblings who work in various fields of law enforcement until their adoptive parents are murdered. When the police can’t figure out who killed their beloved parents the Justice siblings come together to solve the case. They discover in the process that they like working together and they form an investigative agency called The Justice Agency. They dedicate the agency to helping people who traditional law enforcement is either unable or unwilling to help. Double Exposure, the first book of this series will release in June and Dead Wrong will release in November.

Catch up with Susan online at SusanSleeman.com, on Facebook, and on Twitter

Related links:
Spyglass Lane Mysteries (Official Site)
Q&A: Susan Sleeman (Nipped in the Bud) (FamilyFiction)
21 Cozy Mysteries Now Available for only .99 each
Post a Comment

Die Laughing: Funny Crime and Mystery Fiction

SHE'S THE SHERIFF!

A woman with a complicated past returns home to become the small town's new sheriff. Best Mann For The Job is by the writer/artist team of Chris and Erica Well. Read it from the beginning at StudioWell.com. Watch the trailer on YouTube.